Week 5 Match Recap

D1A Rugby: Week 5 Match Recap


Colorado (2-1) 67 – 5 Arizona State (1-2)

In the surprise score line of the weekend, the Colorado Buffaloes defeated the visiting Arizona State Sun Devils 67 – 5. The Buffs were able to score early and often, with their first try in the ‘3 on a great counter-attack by Sean Kilfoyle after an ASU turnover. Jean-Claude Trublet de Nermont’s conversion brought it to 7-0 early on and the Buffs never looked back. In ’14 Stewart Cox touched down a try and in the ’21 Chris Martin did as well for the Buffs. Trublet de Nermont’s conversions gave the Buffs a 21-0 lead halfway through the first half. But, Arizona State would not roll over so easily. Erick Moon scored a well-worked team try in the ’28 for the Sun Devils, keeping the score within 16. In the closing ten minutes of the first half Colorado’s Adam Paige and Tony Quattrini each scored converted tries to give the Buffaloes a commanding 35-5 lead going into halftime.

Although the Buffs had a large lead to begin the second half, the 30 points could have easily swung in favor of the Sun Devils with a couple quick tries and lost momentum by Colorado. However, this was not the case for the high-powered Colorado attack. In the ’43 Trublet de Nermont converted his own try to give Colorado a dominating 42 – 5 lead just three minutes into the second half. This score significantly took the wind out of the Arizona State sails and kept Colorado’s momentum going. Five more Colorado tries in the second half made the final score 67 – 5.


Texas A&M (2-2) 38 – 8 Notre Dame (0-4)

Texas A&M was able to remain perfect at home against the visiting Notre Dame Fighting Irish with a convincing 38 – 8 victory. Michael Mills led the Aggies throughout the entire match scoring one try, kicking three conversions and three penalties for a total of 23 points. Sean Doherty scored the first try of the match for A&M in the ‘7 to give the Aggies an early 5-0 lead that they would never relinquish. Notre Dame put their first points on the board after an A&M penalty that gave Sean Peterson an opportunity at the posts. He slotted it to give Notre Dame a shot of life and a shot to take the lead should another penalty opportunity come their way. In the ’22 Christopher Frazier touched down another try for A&M, and after the Mills conversion, the score stood at 12 – 3 for the remainder of the first half.

The second half began in favor of Notre Dame when Sean Peterson was able to score a try in the ’44 to bring the score to 12 – 8. Had the Irish been able to retain consistent possession after this score the end result may have been different for them, but the Aggies were able to get back on track with a beautiful Tyler Gessner try in the ’48 to give them a 19 – 6 lead. Unfortunately for the Irish, and to the delight of Texas A&M, a couple disciplinary lapses by Notre Dame gave Michael Mills two penalty opportunities that each produced three points in the ’51 and ’62, respectively. Mills was able to add seven more points to his total in the ’70 when he scored a try and converted it himself to bring the score to 32 – 8. In the final ten minutes Mills was able to kick through two additional penalties to bring the final score to 38 – 8.


Penn St. (1-0) 30 – 17 Delaware (0-2)

Penn State has begun their 2012 season with a 30 – 17 win over a talented and physical Delaware squad. Coming into the match Delaware had been defeated by a strong Army side and were looking to get some much-needed league points. Penn State came out swinging and scored a try in the ‘2 through the power of flanker Daniel Metcalf. The early score gave Penn State a great confidence boost early on in their first regular season match of the season. But Delaware proved their determination with a hard-fought try by Christopher Mattina in the ’16. The missed conversion kept the score tied at 5 – 5 early on in the match. Penn State was able to cross the try line just a few minutes after in the ’23 when Blaze Feury scored his first try of the 2012 season. Joseph Baker made the conversion to give Penn State a 12 – 5 lead. The Nittany Lions crossed over again for five points when Michael Erickson scored a try in the ’32 to bring the score to 17 – 5, in favor of Penn State. It looked as if the score would remain here heading into half time until the ’40 when Sean Hebert of Penn State scored a late first half try to give his team a big boost of confidence heading into the locker-room. At the half the score stood at 24 – 5.

Down by 19 to begin the second half, Delaware came out swinging and was able to score a nice try in the ’43 on the legs of Christopher Mattina. His try and conversion gave Delaware a spark and put the score at 24 – 12 with a lot of time left to play. The match went back and forth for the next few minutes until Delaware committed a penalty that gave Joseph Baker a penalty in the ’50 and again in the ’64. These made penalties put Penn State’s point total at 30 where it would remain for the rest of the game. Delaware was able to shut down the Penn State attack for the last fifteen minutes of the game and were able to surmount somewhat of a comeback. In the ’70 Glen Thomas scored a try for Delaware to give them 17 points against 30 with just ten minutes to play. Unfortunately for them, Penn State was fit enough and disciplined to keep them out of the try zone for the 30 – 17 win.